12.10.11

Have Baby, Will Prepare: Get the Best OB

I had ample time to prepare for baby H. I scoured the internet for different tips and suggestions. Read countless blogs and searched through different local forums. I wanted to be as prepared as I can be for my very first baby. But, no matter how much planning you do, there are some things that you just can't plan on. Well, here is a list of some things that you can plan on:

1. Get the best OB (for you). One who will really take care of you and, one who you will be comfortable with.
When I first suspected that I was pregnant, I just selected a random OB who was available during the time that I was in the hospital. She was older, and a little bit intimidating. I felt that it was all just routine for her, and that she didn't care about me, I was just a patient. After getting prescriptions for test to confirm that I was indeed pregnant, I never went back to again. I wanted to be as comfortable as I can be with my OB. Pregnancy is such a new and alien thing to me, and I knew that I would have to ask a lot of questions.
    My second OB, was a friend of B's brother. She was younger, and treated me more like a friend. We were very comfortable with her. She would gladly answer all of our questions, and doesn't rush us through our consultations with her. She would remind me, not to put on so much weight, and only gain the appropriate amount of weight for this pregnancy. She would also respond to my questions through SMS.
     She also supported our desire to give birth to H naturally, without any pain medications. During the time of my labor, she never suggested any pain relief or medication, because she knows that we aim for a natural birth.
     It is also important that your OB be informed of your decision whether to breastfeed or not. I chose to breastfeed, as I believe that this is what's best not only for my baby, but for me as well. I informed my OB of my choice to breastfeed, so that any medication I would have to take after giving birth won't interfere with breastfeeding. 
     Getting an OB is one of the most important decisions you will ever make as a mother, not only will your OB take care of you, but she will also take care of your unborn child.


No comments:

Post a Comment