11.10.11

H's Natural Birth Story

For my first ever blog post, I would like to share H's birth story. The start of my journey to Motherhood and beyond.

PS. It is a long post. Happy reading!


July 2 2011.Saturday


0445
My water bag broke. Woke up to the feeling of water trickling down. In my mind I know that it's showtime. H will make her grand entrance today. H has perfect timing, because just the day before I was given the 'all-clear' signal from my OB, no more UTI,  I can give birth without any worries.
Eventhough I'm still a hundred percent sure that I'm going into labor already, I waited and checked if it's really my water bag that broke, and that I did not just peed in my panties.

0500
After making sure that I'm really in labor, I woke up B who was drugged from antibiotics and still recovering from his minor operation due to abscess (pigsa). In a really calm voice I told him, 'It's Go Time. H is ready to say hello'. 
After waking up B, I then woked up the Grandparents, Lolo drove us to MMC, while Mamita will be joining B and I inside the birthing suite.
My contractions had already started, so I started counting it and recording it in my Labor Sheet, as we were instructed during the Birth Class. Contractions lasted about seconds with 1 minute intervals.
Contractions actually feel like a 'timed dysmennorhea' I had dysmennorhea eversince I had my period, so it was not so very painful for me. 

0700
Finally arrived at MMC. Went straight to the Delivery Room and then to the Triage. After doing IE, I learned that I was already at 3-4cm (I was already 1cm 3 days before), and I had no more amniotic fluid. I was also hooked up to have the NST, they found out that H's heartbeat goes down whenever I have contractions, this is probably due to the cord coil that we saw during the last ultrasound.
While having the NST, I can hear the nurses and the doctors discussing my condition, and how we were planning on having a Lamaze birth. That means no pain relief, no epidural. Just a normal, 'painful' delivery. I think that they are surprised that I opted not to have any pain medications, and don't believe that I can do it. Well, they were surprised.
Anyway, contractions are now getting stronger, and I had to concentrate more on my breathing and relaxing exercises. I can't wait to be inside the birthing room.

0800
Was finally transferred to MMC's birthing suite. It was HUGE! Basically, it had the Birthing Bed, a television and a sala set. The Birthing Suite is where I labored, delivered H, and also were I had my recovery period. You can have a maximum of two persons with you inside the room.
My very 'manas' look
Mamita lounging in the Sala set

I was hooked to the NST machine, as they were monitoring H's heartbeat and was also given IV to keep me hydrated. I was not able to walked around as planned, but it was fine, as my contractions started to get longer and more painful.
Holding on to B while having contractions
The best coach, B.
Having attended a birth class, I can say that I was prepared for H's delivery. I knew the stages, watched out for the signs, and knew that it was gonna be painful. I prepared for the worst. I was really grateful that B (my coach and partner) was with me to hold my hand during contractions, to do breathing exercises with, to say encouraging words to me, and of course to tell me that getting an epidural and anaesthesiologist would be really expensive. Thanks B for being the best coach ever!
Being calm and in control really made my labor faster. Being relaxed is the way to go.

1000
5-6 cm already. I really wanted to go to the comfort room and 'poo' in peace, but my OB did not allow me anymore, so there goes the bed pan. It was really difficult having to poo with people around. First poo-poo attempt: FAIL! But the urge to poo was really strong, I can feel it more than the contractions, I even thought that my contractions had stopped because I can't feel it anymore, all I can feel was the urge to poo. After about 30mins, for my second attempt:SUCCESS!

1130
But wait, there's more! Or so I thought. After finally getting the poo out, I still feel the need to poo. I was getting cranky, and so Mamita and B, left me alone to 'poo in peace'. Little did I know it was already H ready to go out.
I was really concentrating and praying,"Lord please make me poo-poo, I don't want H to go out with my poo-poo".
And so, I prayed and concentrated, while B the coach and Mamita was taking a nap on the couch.
I thought about making  poo-poo so hard, that I didn't realize I was already in the Transition Phase of labor, the most dreaded stage. 


1230
After 7 and a half hour of labor, my OB checks how far along I am. My first reaction when she came to the room was "Doc, I really want to poo-poo", and so she checked. Lo and behold, she told me that, "Toni, that's not poo-poo, it's H's head already, you're ready to push!". Wow, those words were magic to my ears" !
Getting ready to push!


1250
After 1 practice push, and 3 big pushes, H is finally out! Whew!
Bloody Baby H. Our first family picture.


H came to the word quietly, no wailing and crying involved, and my first words to her  was "Hi". That was all that I could say. I was overwhelmed with joy, relief and of course LOVE. 

Cleaning Baby H
Baby H and Daddy B
Breastfeeding H for the first time.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank my family and B's family for the support. The medical team  of MMC's Delivery Room, the nurses, the interns and of course my OB, Dra. Carla Espina-Castro and our Pediatrician Dra. Pamela Caedo.

I would also like to thank Ms. Chiqui Brosas-Hahn for sharing her knowledge about natural childbirth. Attending this class, prepared us and really made my journey through childbirth faster and easier. You may inquire class schedules through her website.

And of course, Thank you Lord, for the safe and relatively uncomplicated delivery of H and for giving us a beautiful, chubbylicious, baby girl.


2 comments:

  1. Hi! Congratulations! Love your birth story. I hope you didn't mind I shared the story and pictures in my site. Pray that you are still breastfeeding.

    http://chiquibrosas.blogspot.com/2011/10/hs-natural-birth-story.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ms Chiqui, thanks for sharing. I really wanted to share my birth story so that other women wouldn't be afraid to give birth without any pain medications. It was a really empowering moment for me, as a woman.
    Yes, I am still breastfeeding H for 4 months now, and will stop only when H decides to stop.

    ReplyDelete